For most people, it is common to begin having some discomfort in your legs with age. Knowing whether or not varicose veins are causing the discomfort can make a difference in how you relieve your pain. Your vein specialist can help you determine if you are a good candidate for varicose vein removal and what steps to take to get back to living an active life.
Common Signs of Varicose Veins
During your consultation, the vein specialist will look for a variety of symptoms to verify that your discomfort is in fact caused by varicose veins. Common symptoms include:
- Swelling: General discomfort can manifest through the itchy skin, cramping in the legs or swelling. Some people experience aching, restless leg syndrome or legs that begin cramping after long periods of inactivity.
- Skin Change: Brown discoloration appears when the venous disease has reached an advanced stage. This occurs as a result of blood leaking from the blood vessels and into the skin.
- Venous Leg Ulcers: A venous disease that has reached an advanced stage can manifest in leg ulcers. When blood leaks into the tissue of the skin, it can cause swelling and eventual damage to the tissue. Tissue rupture leads to ulcers or wounds that are painful and itchy.
- Superficial Thrombophlebitis: This is a condition that results in inflammation of veins just beneath the surface of the skin. Patients with this condition normally experience tenderness of the vein, swelling of legs and redness of the skin.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT): DVT is a serious condition that results in a pulling sensation, stemming from a blood clot in the veins. If the blood clot travels up the body, the condition could be life-threatening.
Schedule Your Consultation
Varicose vein disorders can lead to serious conditions that affect your overall health. If you think you are experiencing symptoms of varicose vein disease, please contact your vein removal specialist in El Paso to schedule a consultation to find out if you are a good candidate for varicose vein removal.